OLIS-LORI Delivery service is provided by the Office of Library and Information Services to support interlibrary delivery among Library of Rhode Island (LORI) libraries that are certified by OLIS. The Delivery service allows LORI libraries to share collections statewide without the libraries or their patrons incurring shipping costs.
Library materials exchanged between LORI libraries are the priority for the OLIS-LORI Delivery service. Any request beyond this core service area will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. OLIS will consider requests from RI non-profit organizations and government agencies but not private persons.
Neither OLIS nor the delivery vendor are liable for any damage or loss incurred by non-library organizations using the delivery service.
Non-profit organizations and government agencies must meet the following criteria:
- The materials or the services/programs referred to in the materials are free of charge to libraries and the target audience.
- The materials to be distributed could enhance library services and its outreach to the community.
- The non-profit organization or government agency agrees to package and label all envelopes or boxes of materials at its own expense.
- Total weight of individual boxes of materials do not exceed 25 lbs.
- Non-profit Organizations Only: The non-profit organization is authorized to transact business in Rhode Island.
How to Request
Submit the following information by email:
- Name of the organization or agency making the request.
- Name and contact information of the individual representing the organization or agency.
- A digital copy or image of the material(s) and a brief description of it.
- Intended use and audience for the materials.
- A draft notice to libraries stating the purpose of the materials and their audience. If the request is approved, this notice will accompany materials.
- A list of the types of libraries that the organization would like to receive the material, i.e., public, school, academic, hospital, other. Consult the online list of eligible libraries. [Under no circumstances will delivery be made to libraries noted as DOD (Delivery on Demand).]
Submit the request to OLIS at email@example.com. Incomplete requests will be returned with notations of missing information. OLIS will respond within 10 business days.
If the request is approved
- Provide a template of labels with the libraries’ 3-letter delivery codes for the requester to print and use to label all envelopes or boxes.
- Accept and inspect the materials for libraries with regular delivery schedule.
The non-profit organization or government agency will:
- Package materials in envelopes or boxes. (Rolled items cannot be accepted.)
- Insert the approved notice to libraries in each envelop or box.
- Unless otherwise authorized, deliver all materials to OLIS at 1 Capitol Hill, Providence, RI 02908, from where they will be placed in the delivery system.