BARD (Braille and Audio Reading Download) is a national service provided by the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS). The service is administered locally by Talking Books Plus. Through BARD, Talking Books Plus members may download books to play on their NLS digital machines and other authorized machines. Currently BARD offers over 87,000 titles.
Log into BARD
Questions about BARD? Check these links:
BARD Mobile App Resources
- Application approval. Talking Books Plus reviews and approves applications for BARD.
- Technical support. Talking Books Plus provides support for questions about BARD to its Rhode Island members. Call TBP at (401) 574-9310 or email email@example.com. For advanced technical support, contact NLS at NLSDownload@loc.gov.
- Unlimited downloading. Any account holder
may download any item at any time. During heavy demand, however, NLS
may limit the number of simultaneous downloads for each account.
- Log-on page. The site login uses a form similar to those found on most Internet pages
and should be immediately familiar to users of other sites. The log-on page is screen-reader friendly.
- Search functionality. BARD provides simple and advanced search function. Entering multiple search terms returns only results
containing all of the terms.
- Most Popular Books list. Select the “Most Popular
Book” link from the home page to access a list of the top
twenty most-downloaded books on BARD in the last ninety
days. Fiction and nonfiction titles are listed separately.
- Magazine section. “Recently Added Magazines”
displays links to only the most recent issue of each
magazine. Magazines older than one year must be accessed from each
title’s magazine archive. Links to the archive are at the bottom of
each magazine’s page.
Learn about Players for Digital Talking Books