FY2017 Annual Survey, Frequently Asked Questions
- Electronic Material Expenditures. What do I include in Electronic Materials Expenditures? Does it include OSL fees?
- Selective categories of operating expenditures - subscriptions. What do I include in subscriptions?
- Selective categories of operating expenditures - physical plant. What do I include in physical plant?
- Donations. How do I account for donations made by friends groups or others, such as program support?
- Tax-based appropriation for library operations. Can I include expenditures in the city/town appropriation that are not in the library's budget, such as town services for grass-cutting, snow removal, building insurance, etc.?
- Report all operating expenditures for electronic (digital) materials. Note: Do not list Overdrive or database expenditures that are part of OSL fees but are itemized on OSL invoices. List only expenditures on electronic materials that are not part of OSL fees. Types of electronic materials include e-books, audio and video downloadables, e-serials (including journals), government documents, databases (including locally mounted, full text or not), electronic files, reference tools, scores, maps, or pictures in electronic or digital format, including materials digitized by the library. Electronic materials can be distributed on magnetic tape, diskettes, computer software, CD-ROM, or other portable digital carrier, and can be accessed via a computer, via access to the Internet, or by using an e-book reader. Include expenditures for materials held locally and for remote materials for which permanent or temporary access rights have been acquired. Include expenditures for database licenses. [Note: Based on ISO 2789 definition.] Note: Expenditures for computer software used to support library operations or to link to external networks, including the Internet, are reported under Other Operating Expenditures.
- Selective categories of operating expenditures - subscriptions. Include the cost of electronic and print subscriptions that the library pays directly. Do not include OSL fees.
- Selective categories of operating expenditures - physical plant. Include operating physical plant expenditures, such as utilities and ongoing maintenance. Do not include capital expenditures
- Monetary donations or financial support from Friends groups and others should be included under "Other Operating Revenue" Do not include the value of any contributed or in-kind services or the value of any non-monetary gifts and donations. (e.g., donations of books or services). Expenditures for books, programs, etc, should only be noted when those expenditures have been made from the library's budget.
- Expenditures by the municipality for library operations that are not included in the library's budget, such as town services for grass-cutting, snow removal, building insurance, etc., may be included in the answer for as long as these expenditures can be specifically documented as library expenditures. Use the Worksheet for Library Operations Budget to calculate this numbercapability.